We have been eating about 2 avocados daily so I figured this post should be an ode to avocado. We love avocados in our home. Growing up both in Malawi and India there were no avocados, although I remember briefly seeing avocado on a menu when my family went to visit one of the Animal Parks in Tanzania. I don’t recollect much about my experience except that it was very buttery/creamy and I was not in a buttery phase of life. Fast forward years later, living in Los Angeles, I see avocados year round. I love it! I love them! Kids love them and the hubby tolerates them.
Did I tell you they make a great travel food and infant food on the go? When my kids were little and if we were out of the house during meal times, I would just take an avocado, cut it, scoop it up and give them. Toss the avocado shell when you are done. No dirty containers to carry around and a great healthy nutrition packed snack for kids. Avocados are a great first food for infants also. We have all been brainwashed in giving kids white rice cereal as their first solid food, there’s no reason why you cannot give them bananas, or avocados as their first meal. Infact there’s a white out movement going on and a campaign promoting avocados as baby’s first food.
Granted the most popular way to eat avocados is in guacamole but there are so many other ways to eat them. So how are we eating them to consume 2 avocados a day now:
1) Cut the avocado in half and eat plain (my 18 month’s fav way to eat).
2) Cut the avocado in half and sprinkle some olive oil and sea salt. Scoop from the avocado itself and eat.
3) Cut the avocado in half and sprinkle some lime juice and sea salt. Scoop from the avocado itself and eat.
4) Cut the avocado in half and sprinkle some chipotle seasoning or any other powdered seasoning we crave. Scoop from the avocado itself and eat. (My almost 4 year old came up with this version and she loves it!)
5) Cut the avocado in half and drizzle some condensed milk in it. A perfect dessert that you eat from the avocado itself.
6) Finally my favorite – cut the avocado in half, drizzle some chocolate syrup and eat! Yummy in my tummy!
Now you can see why we are consuming so many avocados right now. This list doesn’t even include the sandwiches and salads we add avocados to.
Do your kids like avocado? How do you serve them?