The star of this recipe is Black Garlic. Yes Black Garlic? Have you heard of it before? I hadn’t till I got a sample from Frieda’s.
Black garlic is garlic but it is so different from white garlic. Black garlic is sweet and savory. It is soft and has a jelly like texture. It is delicious and the most important part, it does not give you bad breath. It is the new thing in food and is available in your local grocery store.
Black garlic is natural. There are no additives used to make it black. Black garlic is produced by an age old fermentation process. You can just cut it and add it to any dish.
The many ways we have been eating black garlic in our home:
1) Cut slivered garlic and add to cheese toast.
2) Add as a garnish to a rice side dish.
Finally, this pasta dish….apologies for the not so great picture above. Sometimes taking a recipe dish photo is an after thought when you are hungry and trying to feed your family. A new and better picture coming soon.
- 1 packet 17 oz Casareece pasta (or any other pasta you want)
- 1 8 oz tomato paste
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ packet frozen spinach
- 4 black garlic clove slivers.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring 5 cups of water to boil in a medium-sized pot. Add the pasta and cook for 9 minutes. Drain immediately and set aside.
- In a small non-stick pan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Add the sliced shallot and sauté for 2 mins, until they are translucent. Add 2 cups of frozen chopped spinach and saute for 2 minutes. Add the tomato puree and salt.
- Garnish with sliced black garlic and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.