Gosh the home smells so incredible as I write this post. It’s the magic of fresh ingredients. I have been busy working 50-60 hours a week. Getting fresh homemade food on the table is difficult so I am always looking for 1 dish wonders and quick recipes and I can get to my family. Enter Broccoli, Chicken Udon Soup. It has protein, carbs and a nutrient dense vegetable (see ANDI score).
Here’s how I made it:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 bay leaves (optional – I use it for the aroma mostly)
½ tsp cumin seeds (optional)
½ inch ginger
3 garlic cloves
1 shallot of ½ medium white onion
1 cup chicken pieces (see instruction #1)
1 cup cut broccoli
1 cup chicken broth (see instruction #1)
1 cup water
Salt to taste
1) I bought 2 organic chicken legs with bones and cooked/boiled them in water. I generally tend to cook extra chicken, use some for the recipe I am making and keep the rest on hand for other dishes such as Chicken and Mushroom. I used the water as the base for this noodle soup. I am biased to homemade chicken broth as it tastes so good and fresh! You can always substitute store bought brands.
2) Once the chicken was cooked I pulled it into smaller pieces.
3) Dice the onion, cloves and ginger.
4) Put a wok on medium heat and add olive oil to it.
5) Toss in the bay leaves, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic and onion mixture and sauté for 3 minutes till the mixture is translucent.
6) Toss in the broccoli and chicken pieces and sauté for another 2 mins
7) Open the packed of Udon and add it to the wok.
8) Add the broth and water to the wok. Add salt to taste.
9) Bring soup to boil and voila serve and enjoy!
A perfect dish that everyone in the family can enjoy in these cold wintery days