This week Simone made another Japanese inspired children’s recipe. A few days ago she made Japanese Salmon Sushi Rice with a Japanese friend of mine. Here’s the video of her helping, cooking, and finally trying out what she made. Along the way she also picked up some Japanese words such as Thank you and colors.
Here’s how we made the recipe:
1 packet Silken Tofu
2 pieces Shitake Mushroom
1 packet Enoki mushrooms
2 tbsp Sesame oil
1 small packet Mitsuwa leaves – available at Japanese grocery stores or your local farmer’s market
Sauce made from:
2 tbsp of cooking sake
2 tbps of seasoned or sweetened sake
2 tbsp of soya sauce
Note: All of the ingredients except for the Mitsuwa leaves are available at most Supermarkets across the country.
1) Cut the tofu pieces into big squares and cook them in a separate pan with a little bit of water and cook for 10 minutes.
2) In an another frying pan, add the sesame oil and the cut up mushrooms (Enoki and Shitake).
3) Add the cooking sauce made up of cooking sake, soya sauce and sweetened sake and cook for 5 minutes till the mushrooms are done.
4) When the tofu is done, take the tofu and add the mushroom sauce on top of it.
5) Garnish with Mitsuwa leaves and you are ready to eat.
Here’s what the recipe looked it once it was done. It goes very well with the Salmon Sushi rice.