I love Kiwis!
- They are rich in vitamins, flavonoids and minerals.
- Kiwis contain more Vitamin C than oranges.
- As much potassium as bananas and a good amount of beta carotene.
- Its high fiber and low glycemic index helps control sugar so it’s perfect for diabetics.
- It is low calorie – one kiwi is about 60 calories.
- It is one of the cleaner fruits as they are low in pesticide index so you don’t have to buy organic.
- Kiwis are also very high on folic acid (must for pregnancy to prevent neural defects), vitamin C, vitamin E, and potassium.
So basically they are good for you and great for the kids!
We love to eat them as kiwis cups in our home in Los Angeles. Cut them the kiwi in the middle and use a spoon and viola you are done. I often pack kiwis cups for my preschooler’s lunch box. So when I heard about the ZESPRI’s Kiwi A-Go-Go Bloggers’ Contest, I was excited about the possibility of winning a trip to New Zealand (a place that’s been on the top of my list to visit) so I decided to submit a recipe for the contest. However, there was a slight PROBLEM, I am in India at the moment and kiwis are not as widely available. Only a few stores catering to the foreign population in the city seems to carry them. After searching high and low, I found one store in my entire city of 40 million that had Kiwis! Bingo!
I am making cumin and corn flakes crusted fried chicken today and wanted a salsa to go with it. So here’ s my kiwi salsa recipe which is perfect with cumin fried chicken or broiled fish.
1 kiwi fruit
1 medium tomato
1 small white onion
1 tbsp lime juice
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
1 small bunch cilantro leaves
Salt to taste
1 medium Jalapeno (optional)
1) Roughly chop kiwi, tomato, onion and jalapeno pepper and keep aside.
2) Chop the cilantro leaves and stems and keep side.
3) Toss kiwi, tomato, onion, pepper and cilantro leaves in a bowl. Mix the olive oil, lime juice and salt.
4) Serve with chicken or fish or eat as a salad!
You , my readers could also win a trip to New Zealand. Click here to enter their sweepstakes.