This year I am going to feed my family more quinoa, more couscous, more faro, more wild rice, more brown rice, and more Indian breads (naan, roti, parathas etc.). I don’t make New Year’s Resolutions as I eventually drop them in frustration. Instead, I vow to make small manageable changes throughout the year. When something isn’t working, I evaluate the situation and resolve to make incremental change. This way I know ‘I won’t fall off the wagon’. If my younger version from 5 years ago showed up today, she would say I am more organized, I plan better, I am more knowledgeable about wine, chocolate and food now, and my home still has ways to go before it mirrors the organization and the décor of the catalog homes that I droll over.
My younger self would like that I have expanded my grains palate beyond rice and whole wheat. Also my younger self would really like this Lemon Quinoa dish, which is a fragrant bright dish that you can eat anytime.
2 tsp. Bengal gram (lentils) or chana dal
1.5 tsp. mustard seeds
10 curry leaves or 2 sprigs of curry leaves
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 cups cooked quinoa (or ½ cup dry quinoa, I used Bob’s Red Mill Organic Grain Quinoa)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. salt
1) Cook the quinoa per the instructions on the packaging.
2) Place a pan on medium heat and heat the oil.
3) Add Bengal gram and mustard seeds to the oil and sauté them for about 2 minutes. Once the mustard seeds start to sputter, add the curry leaves and sauté them for 1 minute.
4) Add the turmeric powder and salt.
5) Add the cooked quinoa and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon. Mix thoroughly and serve.
Thank you for your support in 2011 and here’s wishing for a healthy 2012 with lots of positive mini changes.