What’s not to love about oatmeal? It is low fat, low cholesterol, full of fiber, and a great source of calcium if you add milk. You can add whatever you want to it. Here are the other benefits of eating oatmeal:
- It is so simple and quick to make that you can make it on busy mornings. Oatmeal can be made in 5-10 minutes.
- It can satisfy all the different taste preferences through the various toppings.
- It helps increase your breast milk supply if you see it start to dwindle, eat oatmeal for a few days and you should see a spike in your supply.
- A great cereal alternative.
Although there are plenty of pre-flavored oatmeal options available, be wary of them as most of them contain way too much sugar. I use plain oatmeal and add whatever I want to it.
Keep in mind there are several different oatmeal options – steel cuts, quick cook, instant oats and rolled oats. Steel cut oats are the healthiest amongst the different types of oats as they contain most of the nutrients.
My 7 month old loves to eat Oatmeal so I am always making oatmeal with different fruits and vegetables to keep things interesting for him. I initially pureed even the oatmeal but now I keep the oatmeal as is to add another texture and add pureed fruit or vegetable.
I added papaya to this oatmeal as Papaya is a rich source of Vitamin B, fiber, potassium and magnesium and antioxidant nutrients such as carotenes, vitamin C and flavonoids.
Here’s how I made the Oatmeal with pureed papaya
1/2 cup of ground oats
1 ¼ cup to 1 ½ cup water
¼ cup pureed papaya
- Boil the water in a sauce pan and add the oatmeal and simmer till cooked (about 10 mins)
- Add pureed papaya.
- Serve warm.