In my previous post, Part 1- Working out with a US Olympian – Lashinda Demus, I had mentioned that after our workout we got to taste food served in the US Olympics Training Center.
My favorite dish from that evening is the Creamy Jicama Slaw. One bite of this salad, and I was hooked. I helped myself to 4 servings of this salad.
Picture courtesy of Chobani.com
I like Jicama although I do wish it was easier to cut this root vegetable. For years I would look at Jicama in the grocery store and but never took one home. I had a bite about 5 years ago and since then I am hooked. My kids love Jicama, they love the crunchiness of Jicama. I keep sticks of cut Jicama in the fridge so the kids can grab them whenever they want. Raw Jicama has the texture and fruity taste similar to apple.
Here’s the Creamy Jicama Slaw recipe courtesy of Chobani.
- ⅓ c Chobani Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 t fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ t apple cider vinegar
- 1 t sugar
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ t ground cumin
- ½ t kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small jicama, peeled and sliced into thin matchsticks
- 5 scallions, trimmed and sliced on a bias
- ½ medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- ) Whisk together Chobani, lime juice, vinegar, sugar, cilantro, cumin, salt and black pepper. Refrigerate for 30 min.
- ) In a serving bowl, toss together jicama, scallions and pepper strips. Add dressing and toss to combine.
Check out Chobani for other recipe ideas using Chobani Yogurt.