Today is National Pistachio Day! I want to share one of the ways we use pistachios in our home. After my kids were old enough to drink milk and eat nuts, I wanted to come up with ways to flavor the milk. A majority of the time, the kids get plain milk. On special occasions, they get chocolate milk (with grated chocolate), honey milk, fruit flavored milk and milk flavored with nuts. For the milk flavored with nuts, I make a powder of all the nuts I want and steep the milk in the powder.
Pistachio flavored milk is a great alternative to chocolate milk or strawberry milk for kids. The thick, semisweet flavor of Pistachio flavored milk is a delicious treat on cold winter nights. My favorite way to eat pistachios has to be sitting on the sofa and shelling the pistachios while talking to the kids about their lives, their day, their friends. Memories!
Since it is National Pistachio Day, let me share some trivia about Pistachios with you:
- Pistachios are wind pollinated, as opposed to bee pollinated. Just one male tree is required to pollinate up to 30 female trees.
- Pistachio trees take seven to 10 years to mature
- California comprises 98.5% of the total Pistachio production with over 250,000 acres planted throughout 22 counties.
- There are 850 producers in the United States and the annual “farm gate value”* of pistachios represents more than $1.16 billion to the California economy
I received Pistachio goodies from Primex Farms. Have I told you how much I love the CA farming community? Thank to them we have access to some of the freshest and yummiest produce in the world.
- 2½ cups milk (I used 2%, use any milk your family drinks)
- Pistachio ½ cup
- 1 green cardamom pod (optional)
- 2.5 tsp sugar
- Blanch the pistachio in boiling water for 1 minute. Immediately pour the pistachios in cold water to prevent further softening.
- Rub the nuts and remove the skins from the pistachios.
- Grind the pistachios with ¼ cup of milk into a thick paste.
- Heat the remaining milk with a cardamom pod in a pan and bring it to boil.
- Add the pistachio paste, sugar and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour into glasses and serve.