I have been craving baklava for the last few days, the layers of nuts and phylo dough soaked in honey and syrup just sound delicious. Then it occurred to me that my kids had never tasted Baklava before. Now I was on a mission! I always keep puff pastry sheets in the freezer, it is one of the staples in my home, and I use it for breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes. Puff pastry – check, nuts check, honey check. Looks like I had everything i needed to make baklava; the only problem was that I did not want to spend my time layering the baklava like you typically have to. So I figured why not make baklava sticks. They are easy enough for kids to pick up and eat. Also, this year is certainly the year of food on sticks! So the end result was a quick, simple, easy baklava recipe. Adjust the quantity of the ingredients as needed.
Puff Pastry Sheets
Honey to drizzle
1) Defrost the sheets for about 15 minutes.
2) Cut the sheets into 1 inch thick strips. Holding the strips on both ends, twist them gently. The tighter you twist, the less your baklava sticks will puff. You can make your baklava sticks long, short and any length you really want.
3) Coarsely crush the nuts using a mortar and pestle.
4) Break the egg and mix it.
5) Coat the puff pastry with the egg and sprinkle the puff pastry with the crushed nuts. Make sure to coat both sides.
6) Preheat oven at 350F. Bake the coated puff pastry sticks for 12 minutes in the oven until the sticks are puffed, golden and crispy.
7) Remove from oven. Drizzle honey and serve!
The kids loved the dessert. It was so simple and easy to make. This is such a fun recipe to put together with the kids. The kids can:
- Cut the puff pastry into the various lenghts.
- They can twist the sticks.
- They can coat the puff pastry with egg
- They can sprinkle nuts on the egg coated puff pastry.
Other Recipe Variations you can use:
1) You can use mixed nuts – almonds, walnuts, pistachios etc.
2) For the sweet syrup you can make a combination of sugar and honey syrup.
3) You can add cinnamon to the syrup mixture also.