With V-day around the corner — this a fun recipe/activity to do with the kids. You can make chocolate covered strawberries, pecans, grapes, and oranges. The total time to make them was less than 10 mins with most of the time spent on dipping the fruits in the chocolate.
By making it at home – we had the best organic strawberries, strawberries are among the most contaminated produce in the US, so it makes sense to use organic strawberries whenever you can.
Here’s how we made it:
Dark chocolate chips (use as desired)
Pecans – optional
1) Heat a pot with water and let it come to boil.
2) Put the chocolate chips in another container and let immerse the container in the boiling water. The heat from the boiling water will melt the chocolate chips. You can use semi-sweet if you want or white chocolate chips if you want. Our family loves dark chocolate.
3) In the meanwhile grate the pecans using a Microplane Grater/Zester. This is optional but added a really nice touch to the dipped fruits and a great way to sneak in nuts. Plus, since Simone had a hard time picking up the grapes from the hot chocolate, she was more than happy to sprinkle the grated pecans over the grapes and strawberries.
4) Dip the fruit and sprinkle the grated pecans. Place them on parchment paper.
5) Keep them in the fridge for about 30 minutes and they are ready to eat.
The verdict? Yummy! Simone poses with her creations…