Here’s another quick recipe to make rice pilaf for children. All too often we have rice on one side and veggies separately and some form of protein for a meal. Why not combine the veggies and rice together? Rice Pilaf makes a great snack/meal for kids on the go. Just toss it in a container and you have everything in one container. Rice Pilaf is also an easy way to introduce children to new veggies. I mix the favorites with the new and make a pilaf. Occasionally I also toss in meat in my pilaf to really make a one dish meal with sides, but this is a vegetarian rice pilaf recipe that has the most amazing smell thanks to the cardamom and bay leaves.
Here’s the recipe: (serves 4 adults)
1 ½ tsp Olive Oil
½ Medium sized White Onion
2-3 black pepper corns (optional)
2 bay leaves (optional)
2 green cardamom pods (optional)
2 cups mixed veggie (I used a frozen packed of mixed vegetables that had carrots, corn, peas and beans for this recipe. You can use any veggies that you want )
1 cup white rice (you can use brown rice also but you would have to adjust the water accordingly)
2 cups water
1) Dice the onion and keep aside.
2) Put a pot on medium heat and add the olive oil.
3) Add the diced onion to the pot and fry them for about 1 minute.
4) Add the cardamom pods, black pepper and bay leaves to the pot and fry till onions are translucent. The cardamom and bay leaves release this wonderful aroma when they are sautéed.
5) Add the veggies to the pot and fry them for 2-3 minutes.
6) Add the rice and fry the rice and the veggies for 1 minute.
7) Add the water and salt and cover the lid.
8) Cook till the rice is tender and cooked. It should take about 10 minutes.
9) Remove the black pepper corn before serving.
Alternatives: You can use brown rice for this recipe but you will need to add more water for the rice to cook. I would start with 3 cups and see if more is needed. Brown rice also takes longer to cook. It can take about 25-30 minutes for brown rice to cook.
The Verdict: Simone loves to eat rice pilaf and as I mentioned earlier this is one the best ways to prepare food for on the go. If I am going to the zoo, beach, hike, travel, or something, I always make some rice pilaf as it is an easy way to eat healthy and nutritiously on the go.