How do you serve eggs to your kids? Boiled, Scrambled, or Fried? Next time serve them as a frittata! Frittatas are fluffier thicker omelets with veggies, meat, cheese, any toppings you want. They are part omelet and part quiche and are an excellent to get some vegetables in your children. Frittatas are generally associated with Spanish cuisine.
In our home, we make frittatas for brunch on weekends. I toss in whatever veggies we like eating along with some cheese, and cook sometime on the stove and then broil the eggs. The result: a delicious and a different way to eat eggs. Frittatas are great finger foods for toddlers. Because they are thick, you can cut them into any shapes for children to pick.
Eggs are good for children. They are a great source of high quality low cost protein and vital nutrients such as folate, riboflavin, selenium . The egg yolk is also very good for eyesight.
Vegetable Frittata (makes 2 adults and 1 child)
1 cup of baby spinach leaves
2 portabello mushrooms
½ medium sized onion
2 tsp Olive Oil
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
A 6-8 inch skillet (pan) that you can put in the oven. I use this skillet/pan from All Clad that I have had for almost 10 years now.
1) Dice the mushrooms, onions and tomato.
2) Tear the spinach leaves into smaller pieces by hand.
3) Crack the eggs open into a mixing bowl.
4) Mix the eggs using a fork or a whisk for 30 seconds. Add salt.
5) Put a skillet (frying pan) on medium heat. I used a 7.5 inch skillet. You need the skillet to be smaller as that’s how you get a “thick omlette”.
6) Add the olive oil to the pan.
7) Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan and sauté till the onions are translucent.
8) Add the tomato and sauté for 1 minute.
9) Add the spinach leaves and sauté for 30 seconds.
10) Add the eggs and cook on medium heat.
11) When the eggs are cooked from the bottom but still gooey on the top, put the pan in the oven with the broil setting on and broil till the top of the frittata is cooked.
12) Remove pan from the oven, sprinkle some black pepper to taste. Cut the frittata like pizza slices and serve with bread.
The verdict: This is a great recipe to include in your repertoire of egg recipes. It is simple to make and you can add any filling you want. Simone loves frittatas! I often include your favorite vegetables and new vegetables in a frittatas as this a good way to introduce her to the new vegetables.