Kids love the new and the unusual. How about feeding them red colored food?
Excite your kids by serving them red colored rice or pasta with beets. Your kids will love the color, the taste is yummy and it is all natural. Just use beetroots with your rice or pasta. Plus, beets are pretty cheap, which is good in these frugal times.
I have been making a lot of beetroot based recipes lately to expand my kids’ palette. Beetroots are great for kids, they are yummy and naturally sweet. They are rich in calcium and are a great immune booster. So give beets to your kids and watch them surprise you.
Here’s how I made the recipe:
1 medium sized beetroot.
2 garlic cloves
2 cups cooked white rice
1 tsp Olive Oil
handful of peanuts (optional if there are any nut allergies)
Salt to taste
1) I grated the raw betroot but as alternative you can use cooked beetroots found in grocery stores and puree them.
2) Dice the shallots and garlic.
3) Heat olive oil in a frying pan.
4) Add the shallot, peanuts and garlic and saute till they are light brown approximately 1 minute.
5) Add the beetroot and cook for 2 mins (if you are using cooked beetroot you won’t need this much time)
6) Mix in the rice and add salt to taste.
7) Serve warm as a side dish.