Flavor and speed are two things I am always striving for in getting food on the table. I am always looking for ways to serve things differently to my kids to get them to build a varied palette. When Frieda’s asked if I would like to try these wonderful small potatoes The Little Potato Company (Thank you Frieda’s), I started thinking what I would make with them. The three things that crossed my mind were French fries, mashed potatoes and roast potatoes as each dish is amongst the favorite foods for kids.
I eventually settled on 2 things – mashed potatoes with crème fraiche (recipe coming soon) and Sliced Potato in tomato sauce. Both the dishes are easy to whip up and are great as a side dish to any meal.
Before I share the recipe with you, let me tell you more about these small potatoes from The Little Potato Company. They are pre-washed so you don’t need to wash and peel them. By not peeling them you get more nutrients from the potatoes. The tiny size of these potatoes will make them an instant hit with the kids. Their taste – creamy and full of flavor! Worth a try! They are available in your local Ralph’s grocery store.
To add color and variety to this Sliced Potatoes in Tomato Sauce , I used the Terrific Trio potatoes.
Ingredients (makes about 2 cups of sliced potatoes)
2 cups thinly sliced potatoes
2 medium sized tomatoes
2 small whole green chilies
2 tbsp cut cilantro leaves
3 tbsp cooking oil
salt to taste.
1) Thinly slice the potatoes either using a mandolin or a knife.
2) Dice the tomatoes.
3) Heat a frying pan with 3 tbsp of oil on medium heat.
4) Add the sliced potatoes, sprinkle salt and sauté till they are crisp and light brown on both sides. This should take about 5-7 mins.
5) Add the whole green chilies. When you add whole green chilies to any dish, you don’t get the “heat” in the dish. If you want to add “heat” to the potatoes, cut the chili into pieces and toss in. Sautee the cut chilies for 30 seconds.
6) Add the tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes wilt.
7) Add the cilantro leaves. Remove from fire and serve as a side dish.
Interested in trying these special little potatoes? Well I am doing an awesome giveaway for my readers that includes:
- 1 bag of Little Potato Company potatoes
- 1 bag of Frieda’s Pearl Onions (Red or White)
- 1 Frieda’s Purple Kiwi Cook Book
- 1 Frieda’s reusable bag, pen, notepad
To win you must enter a comment below telling me why you like potatoes and how you like to eat them. A winner will be chosen next Monday October 17th.
Updated: October 17th – the entries for this giveaway are now closed. A winner has already been selected.