Have you heard of Skellig Cheese by Kerrygold?
I hadn’t either till fairly recently and this has become one of my favorite cheeses next to Dubliner also by Kerrygold. #Skellig is a sweet Cheddar cheese that was introduced to the US markets earlier this year. It has a delicious creamy texture and a very nutty flavor to it. It is not sweet as is “sugar sweet”, but the cheese does have a very intense flavor and makes for an amazing taste.
Like all Kerrygold cheeses and butters, Skellig is made in Ireland with milk from grass-fed cows that are free of artificial growth hormones. By grass fed I mean the cows wander the fields and decide which blade of grass they want to eat vs being fed grass. Most Kerrygold products are available in your local grocery stores or Costco.
I was given a sample of Skellig cheese due to my partiicpating in the Kerrygold Blogger Network and I have created this Flat Bread recipe as my entry to the Skellig recipe contest.
You can use store bought pizza dough, or Pizza crust or Naan from the stores as a base for the flat bread. The end result a great appetizer or a meal.
- 8 oz pizza dough
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups grated Skellig Sweet Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup chopped spinach (frozen or fresh)
- ¾ tsp garlic salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400F and place pizza stone in the oven.
- Take pizza dough and flatten it using your hands. Stretch the dough from the center outward until it will not stretch further. Stretch the dough till the desired diameter - 8-10 inches.
- Brush the top of the dough with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the garlic salt on top of the olive oil.
- Add the grated cheese followed by the spinach.
- Transfer the pizza onto the pizza stone and cook for about 15 minutes till the crust is brown. I didn't have a peel to transfer the pizza, so I opened the oven and pulled out the rack the pizza stone was on and assembled the pizza directly on the pizza stone.