These are perfect for St. Patty’s day treat! It is only recently that I have discovered the beauty of using fruits and vegetables to add color to a recipe. So, these yummy lamb kebabs are green courtesy of pureed spinach. You can easily substitute the lamb with minced beef in this recipe. This recipe makes perfect kebabs, if you have the time to put the lamb mixture on skewers and BBQ them. Or you can make them like I did, roll them into little round balls, toss them in the oven for 20 mins and you have a healthy dish.
I am a sucker for lamb, I love it, and I have encouraged my family to love it too by making it differently each time. Our favorite is lamb bhuna and the next up are these kebabs. I really keep our red meat consumption to a minimum so lamb gets made about three times a month. The thing I will always remember from this recipe is how my 2 year old kept saying, “kebabs, you made them for me? I like kebabs”, while eating one meatball after another.
NOTE: You can always store the extra meatballs in the freezer to use them in your next pasta dish or an an appetizer for a party. If you want to kick it up a notch for the adults add some green chilies to it, or some sriracha to the mixture.
- 2 lbs minced lamb
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 garlic cloves
- cup cut cilantro (leaves and stems)
- cup cut spinach leaves
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Preheat oven at 350F
- Puree the cilantro, garlic, and spinach using a hand blender and add to the minced lamb.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the lamb mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Roll the mixture into small balls.
- Place the balls on a baking sheet. Put the sheet in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove and serve with a yogurt dip of your choice. If needed adjust the seasoning for the next batch.