I have become all about speed and efficiency when it comes to feeding my kids. With hubby travelling Monday through Thursday and me working crazy hours at a startup, one dish casseroles for meals seem like a perfect solution. This tortilla zucchini egg scramble is a fabulous 1 dish breakfast casserole. It has the carbs, protein, and veggies! A great way to get the kids powered up before they head off to daycare, preschool or school. So simple and easy. It took less than 10 minutes to cook it and serve it on the dining table.
The best of all – the kids loved it, I loved it! They wolfed it down for breakfast.
Here’s how to make it (serves 2):
1 whole wheat tortilla
½ medium sized red or white onion
1 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
1) Roll the tortilla and cut it into long strips as shown below.
2) Coarsely shred the zucchini using a grater.
3) Dice the onion.
4) Put a frying fan on medium heat and add the oil.
5) Add the onion and sauté till translucent. This should take about 2 mins.
6) Add the zucchini and sauté for another minute.
7) Crack the eggs and add them to the frying pan and move them around to scramble them.
8) Add salt to taste
9) Toss in the cut tortilla strips and sauté for another minute.
10) Serve with salsa or guacamole, or sour cream or cut avocado slices!
1) Garnish with cilantro leaves.
2) Add grated cheese to the mixture.
3) Add ground cumin, paprika and cut scallions to the scrambled eggs.