Ever wonder how to get a bigger bang for calories for an underweight toddler? Here are some ideas on how to help toddlers gain weight in a healthy manner. You can feed them fries and junk food but in the long run that will do more damage than the short term gain.
So what are some high calorie food items:
1) Ghee/Butter – Add them to rice, pasta, bread and even sauté’ the veggies in butter.
2) Guacamole – It is very simple to make guacamole at home and you can even make homemade tortilla chips if you want. Avocados are high in calories and are a good source of omega 3 (great for heart and brains), especially if you are vegetarian.
3) Nuts – Another great source of protein and omega 3. They are also high calorie. Eat nuts, lots and lots of nuts. Pistachios, Almonds, walnuts, etc. Trader Joe’s carries Unsalted Dry Toasted Sliced Almonds packets where the almonds are slivered so they are small and tender so you don’t worry about choking etc. You can grind nuts into a powder and add them to a child’s milk or sprinkle them on Mac n cheese etc…
4) Try peanut butter or even Nutella (yummy and very high calorie)
5) Finally Bananas are also good for weight gain.
Other articles you may like: